NPA Exercise and Fitness
Ambition, Confidence, Happiness and Respect.
The course (description and levels) - Why pick this course
- SCQF 6, equivalent to a higher.
- Support candidates wishing to pursue Exercise and Fitness as a possible career path.
- Develop knowledge and skills which will allow better articulation with the HNC/D College based programmes in Fitness, Coaching and Sport and Recreation Management.
- Will develop great organisational skills as well as team working.
- Developing students competency and confidence performing various exercises
- Giving students opportunities to plan and deliver small group training sessions
- Evaluating the impact of different training methods on heart rate, using various heart rate monitoring tools.
- Identifying how organs and muscles are involved in respiration and circulation.
- Explaining the impact of exercise on the physiological, muscular and skeletal system.
- Calculating HR training zones, designing training plans, and managing risk for individual clients.
How this course can help you
- Learn how to safely use gym equipment.
- Learners undertaking this Course will focus on health, exercise, safety protocols and how the body works.
- Develop your communication skills and a responsible attitude to work.
- Prepare learners for work as a personal trainer, gym instructor or involved in treatment after injury.
- Assessment in this course is mainly through performance of practical activities supported by assessor observation checklists.
- Assessment of theory is through restricted response questions, case study of clients and session plans.
- Unit by unit assessment – no final written exam.
Expectations of the department
During practical PE days it is important that you come with the correct equipment- full PE kit- so that you can take part in the practical lesson. It is important to work independently, meet homework deadlines, bring workbooks to all lessons and catch up with any work missed if absent.