S5-6 Practical Cookery
Ambition, Confidence, Happiness and Respect.
- Information gained can be extremely useful in a real-life context.
- Will develop great organisational skills.
- We have a very supportive and experienced team who strive to ensure you always have a positive learning experience.
- Could help with careers in food and hospitality sector – huge job sector.
- This course can open a range of progression routes to further and higher education.
- Although there is theory work that is not to be underestimated there is a lot of practical work too which might provide a good break from more traditional theory-based learning.
How this course can help you
- To enable candidates to proficiently use a range of cookery skills, food preparation techniques and cookery processes when following recipes
- To select and use ingredients to produce and garnish or decorate dishes.
- To develop an understanding of the characteristics of ingredients and an awareness of their sustainability.
- To develop an understanding of current dietary advice relating to the use of ingredients.
- To plan and produce meals and present them appropriately work safely and hygienically.
- At National 5 level there is a theory exam, a time- planning assessment and then a practical assessment. The Practical element of the assessment 70% of your overall grade.
- There is option of National 4 if required, this is internal assessment based only.